Saturday, February 17, 2018

Mushroom People

We've skied past the bottom of Mushroom People at least 50 times. That's a conservative guess. It had never crossed our minds even once to ski it. That was stupid. It's fricken' great. With interesting terrain, wonderful views, and a short approach.



Nick shot some video. I'm the one with the yellow pack. It reminds me that I still have much to learn about this whole parallel (vs telemark) turn thing.



I'm throwing in these final two photos just as my own personal reminder in the future.



They were taken looking down into the valley. The normal skin track parallels the trim line that runs from left to right in the center of the photo. The second photo is a zoom of the first one. See those bent trees in the second photo?

Yeah. And I'm pretty sure those bent trees are new this year. Even without the photos it's obvious that avalanches run across the valley bottom: giant avalanche path above, no trees. Duh. But like I mentioned we've probably skied through there 50 times or more. Rarely if ever giving it a thought. I guess my point is that we used to give it a thought.

I mean the chances are slim, right? It won't come down that far while we are crossing that run out. Million to one. But if I'm right about those trees then it did in fact come down right across the skin track and it happened just a few weeks ago.

Where else are we letting our guard down? These reminders are good.

No comments:

Post a Comment