Monday, November 27, 2006

Knox Mountain

Having only lived here for 18 months I don't really know what a typical winter is like in Kelowna. If I were to go by my impressions from last winter I could summarize in one word..."grim!". There was snow on the ground for about 10 days in December. The rest of the time the temperature hovered around freezing and it was grey and damp.

So this year has been a complete surprise. Late last week the temperature started dropping, the snow started falling, and it hasn't let up for days. I've been in a good mood ever since!

I hadn't realized how much I enjoy living day to day in a "real" winter. Certainly here in Kelowna we escape into real winter every time we head to the mountains on the weekend. But it's not the same as having snow in the yard and hearing the crunch of cold snow under your boots and just plain living with snow and cold every day.

To celebrate I dragged a very reluctant Brenda out to Knox Mountain on Sunday. Knox is about 2km north of our place. It's a killer climb on a bike in the summer so I figured we could squeak in a few turns on our tele gear.

Strange to see snow over what is essentially desert...

Not too busy at the first lookout today...

Looking down at the mill and the logs that were floated across the lake...


Yes, we did actually turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment